The brief was to refurbish the very dilapidated but much loved Market House building, and to develop it as a modern community library and meeting space for the Ballymahon community.
Dating from around 1819, the original Market House consisted of an open arcaded market at ground floor, above which was a courtroom, judge’s chamber and jury room, accessed by a small elegantly detailed stairwell at the rear of the building.
The ground floor of repaired historic structure of the former Market House houses the main library, with a local studies room to the first floor that is also used as a community meeting room.
Ancillary accommodation is contained within a subtle and subservient new extension to the rear of the existing building, visually disengaged from the historic stone structure.
Since the new community library has opened its doors the excitement, pride, and sense of ownership that has been expressed by the local community has completely surpassed the client’s expectations.
Client: Longford County Council
Location: Main Street, Ballymahon, Co. Longford
Seán Harrington Architects:
Seán Harrington, Jim Roche.
Contractor: Purcell Construction